Whilst I am so grateful that the low-FODMAP diet has helped improve my IBS symptoms, recently I can’t help thinking about the food I miss the most. Yes, living a low-FODMAP lifestyle can still be delicious and it has made me experiment in the kitchen more but sometimes I REALLY miss the food I used to eat. Saying that, I do not miss how I felt after eating these. But I’m going to list them anyway…
- Pizza – A big, fat juicy pizza on a normal pizza base! Covered in lots of toppings and lots of cheese. Oh and it would be quite nice to dunk my pizza slice in a BBQ dip or even better…garlic and herb!
- Curry – I was brought up eating curry pretty much every Saturday night as my mum makes lovely homemade ones and I really miss them and nan bread too! Luckily these days my mum makes an awesome low-FODMAP one. Any restaurants out there fancy making a low-FODMAP one?? Pretty please!
- Crisps – I have a massive weakness for crisps, I’m seriously addicted. I had to cut out so many yummy flavours and it sucks. Thank goodness I didn’t need to cut them all out!
- Soup – Whilst most soups can be easily adapted, I really miss being able to grab soup on the go. The base of soup is almost always garlic and onion, so it’s always a bummer missing out, especially in the winter months.
- Mexican Food – Yup, most is laced in garlic and onions and is oh so delicious, I better get working on an alternative recipe. I did however go to el Cartel in Edinburgh and they adapted food for me and I thoroughly enjoyed!
I think it’s safe to say I sound pretty unhealthy and pretty hungry whilst writing this post, but I guess it’s only human to miss foods that I loved the most and can no longer easily access. Now I’m even more motivated to try and create some low-FODMAP alternatives.
Let me know any favourite foods you miss the most.